Friday, January 8, 2016

The story of Ken - While on my first trip to Yosemite. On the hike up to Upper Yosemite Falls we passed on older gentleman, probably in his late 70s to early 80s, struggling to hike down. He had bright white hair and was slightly over weight. He wore slipper shoes, a dark blue jacket with a bright red shirt, and a camera around his neck. He held a big tree branch with both hands and used it to lower himself down every rock and small step. We stopped to check on him and he was in positive spirits and didn't seemed bothered by the struggle. So we continued on and a while later reached the top. We spent some time soaking in the view and taking some photos. Feeling content we started making our way down and not to far from where we left him, the older gentleman was sitting on a rock, resting. I asked about his hike and if he was ok. Again, he was in good spirits and happy to be out in it. So we continued down, but after two switchbacks and more than a mile to go, I looked back up to see him struggling once again. It's 4pm and I don't think he'll make it down 60 switchbacks before dark. I ran back up and offered my arm and whatever I could do to help him down. He gladly accepted, threw down the tree branch, and took my arm. Ken was a riot, and a fantastic photographer. He was beyond kind and talked with everyone who passed by. After two and a half hours of stories, rest stops, photos, and taking in the sights I managed to help him down. Not before the bottom however, his legs were giving out and a few more amazing people helped me help him down. I learned his name, his passion for life, and his story. I consider him the spirit of Yosemite and thankful for the visit. That day will stick with me always. Thank you Ken.


Like This Page https://goo.gl/9JYXYP

No comments:

Post a Comment